The die is cast as Cameroon faces an uphill task to secure a knockout round berth at the 2022 FIFA World Cup when the Indomitable Lions take to the field against Brazil at the Lusail Stadium, Lusail on Friday, thesportsbay.com reports.
Victorious without conceding in their opening two FIFA World Cup 2022 matches, Brazil have already secured progress from the group stage for the 14th successive tournament and will clinch first place in Group G if they avoid defeat against Cameroon, who can only join Brazil in the round of 16 by beating them and obtaining assistance from elsewhere.
Cameroon have never won their final group game at the FIFA World Cup (D2 L5). They have also lost both previous encounters with Brazil, going down 3-0 in San Francisco in 1994 and 4-1 in Brasília 20 years later, when Neymar scored twice.
Including those two victories, Brazil have a perfect record of seven wins in as many meetings against African opponents at the FIFA World Cup, with 20 goals scored and just two conceded. They have also topped their group at each of the last ten FIFA World Cups.
• Cameroon are without a win in their last nine FIFA World Cup matches (D1 L8).
• An appearance for Nicolas N’Koulou would move him level with Rigobert Song on nine World Cup appearances. Only François Omam-Biyik (11) and Roger Milla (10) have played more matches for Cameroon at the finals.
• Brazil are currently unbeaten in their last 17 group games (W14 D3), since the 2-1 defeat against Norway at the 1998 competition in France. This represents a tournament record, surpassing Germany’s 16-match streak that ran from 1990 to 2010.
• Brazil have won each of their previous seven FIFA World Cup matches against African nations.This includes a 3-0 win and a 4-1 triumph against Cameroon.
• Brazil have scored three or more goals in all but one of their previous seven FIFA World Cup matches against African nations.