Champions League: Bomb Explosion Rocks Dortmund Bus, Leaves Bartra Injured

0
410

Borussia Dortmund’s Champions League quarter-final with Monaco has been postponed after the Dortmund team bus was damaged by an explosion.

The German team confirmed that defender Marc Bartra was injured in an incident near their hotel but said there was “no danger inside the stadium”.

The match will now be played at Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion at 17:45 BST on Wednesday.

Police confirmed there had been three explosions in the area of the team bus.

Dortmund tweeted that: “A bomb exploded at the team bus next to the hotel.

“The players are safe. There is no danger at the stadium.”

Former Barcelona centre-back Bartra was sent to hospital for treatment, with windows broken on the bus.

Bartra is reported to be the only player or Dortmund staff member injured in the “bomb attack” and club CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke described the fallout.

I Want To Play On The Right Wing - Walcott Tells Wenger
READ

“We were shocked, but the team has been shocked the most,” he said. “There was a bomb attack when the team left the stadium.

“Marc Bartra is slightly injured, he is in the hospital and it hit his hand.”

The Bundesliga club had just that moment confirmed that former Barcelona defender Bartra was the player injured as reports had claimed.

The police agency had already stated: “We can confirm that there have been three explosions in the area of the team bus.

“In the run-up to the Champions League match of BVB against Monaco, there was an explosion near the BVB team team bus shortly after 19:00 local time.

“To our knowledge the windows of the bus are cracked – fully or partly – and one person was injured.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here