Cristiano Ronaldo’s Las Vegas rape accuser drops lawsuit

| |

Former Real Madrid talisman, Cristiano Ronaldo is no longer the subject in the rape lawsuit filed against him by Kathryn Mayorga in the United States as confirmed by Bloomberg.

In September 2018, Kathryn Mayorga, now 34, claimed the Juventus player had attacked her in the penthouse of a Las Vegas hotel in 2009 when she was 25 and was paid $375,000 in hush money.

She said she was forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement by Ronaldo’s lawyers at the time, but reopened the case and filed charges in Las Vegas, demanding $200,000 in damages.

Katheryn Mayorga has now ended her lawsuit, meaning the Juventus attacker can now draw a line under this chapter.

A notice of voluntary dismissal was filed last month in Nevada state court in Las Vegas. The filing didn’t say whether the accuser had reached a settlement with the Portuguese soccer player.

The New York Times reported in March that Juventus, the Italian league champions, wouldn’t participate in the International Champions Cup in the U.S. this summer to avoid the risk that Ronaldo would be detained by authorities as part of a rape investigation.

Ronaldo publicly denied the allegations and never filed a response to the lawsuit.

Katheryn Mayorga filed a complaint Sept. 27, alleging that she was sexually assaulted by Ronaldo in 2009 in his penthouse suite at a Las Vegas hotel.

Mayorga said in the complaint that while she agreed to a settlement with Ronaldo after the alleged assault, she was experiencing severe emotional trauma at the time and wasn’t competent to participate in the mediation.

Leslie Stovall, a lawyer for Mayorga, and Peter Christiansen, a lawyer for Ronaldo, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment on the dismissal.

A five-time winner of soccer’s most prestigious award, the Ballon d’Or, Ronaldo is also the sport’s most popular player on social media.

His marketing potential supercharged Juventus, with the stock price doubling in the months after the Turin-based team signed him from Spain’s Real Madrid on July 10.

Juventus is controlled by Italy’s Agnelli family, the biggest investors in carmaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV.

Following the lawsuit last year, Las Vegas police reopened an investigation of the rape allegations.

The New York Times reported in January that law enforcement officials had requested a sample of the soccer player’s DNA from Italian authorities.

Previous

Flying Eagles end protest, return to Nigeria today

Anthony Joshua reveals how he lost his world titles to Andy Ruiz Jr

Next

Leave a Comment