Jose Mourinho has said that he is “proud” to be linked with a return to Real Madrid, but denies that he has already been contacted about the soon-to-be-vacant position.
Los Blancos are believed to be close to parting company with Santiago Solari following three defeats in a row that has ended their season prematurely.
Reports in Spain suggest that Solari, who was only appointed on a permanent basis in November, could be gone before Real are next in action against Real Valladolid on Sunday.
Mourinho is one of the names to have been mentioned with the high-profile position, having previously spent three years in the Bernabeu dugout between 2010 and 2013.
Former Real president Ramon Calderon went as far to suggest that the club have already reached out to the Portuguese about taking over, but Mourinho has rejected these claims.
“There is nothing, there hasn’t been even the slightest contact,” he told Jugones de LaSexta. “You are talking about hypotheticals. I’m proud [to be mentioned], but Real Madrid already have a coach.”
Mourinho has been out of work since being sacked by Manchester United in December following the Red Devils’ worst-ever start to a Premier League campaign.