The epic ‘battle’ between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is a done deal just as McGregor has signed his portion of the deal to set up a bout against Mayweather.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White announced this on Wednesday night.
“The McGregor side is done,” White said, appearing on TNT’s postgame show after Game 1 of the NBA’s Eastern Conference finals. “I’m starting to work on the Mayweather side now.
“I’m not saying the fight will happen, but I’ve got one side done, now it’s time to work on the other. If we can come to a deal with (Mayweather’s adviser Al) Haymon and Mayweather, the fight’s gonna happen.”
Earlier this week White indicated a deal had been agreed to with McGregor but lawyers were holding it up. That hurdle now appears to be gone as the UFC lightweight champ has signed on for what White called a “straight-up boxing” match.
McGregor also confirmed he had signed on for the “record-breaking deal” in an exclusive statement to TheMacLife.com
“It is an honor to sign this record-breaking deal alongside my partners Zuffa LLC, The Ultimate Fighting Championship, and Paradigm Sports Management,” McGregor said.
“The first, and most important part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.”
McGregor signing on does not guarantee the fight will happen, as Mayweather will still need to agree to terms as well. However, the chances of the fight actually occurring seem more plausible now than ever before.