World number one, Novak Djokovic hopes to compete for his country, Serbia in this summer’s Olympic Games in Rio and said cancelling the Games concerns over the Zika virus would be “unthinkable”
Djokovic, 29, said: “For the moment I’m planning to play. Nothing is changing. But let’s see what happens.”
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has played down fears over the spread of the virus, which is linked to severe birth defects.
Senior WHO official Bruce Aylward told the BBC risk assessment plans were in place, and reiterated there was no need to delay the Games, which are scheduled to take place in Rio de Janeiro from 5-21 August.
More than 100 leading scientists had earlier written to the WHO suggesting new findings about Zika – which is transmitted via mosquitoes – had made it “unethical” for the Games to go ahead as planned.
Djokovic, speaking at the French Open in Paris after he had beaten Britain’s Aljaz Bedene on Saturday, said that he would like more information about the impact of the virus in Brazil.
The three-time Wimbledon champion, who won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, added: “Somebody has passed me the information that a significant amount of scientists have come up with a statement that it’s not safe.
“Honestly, I don’t know what to think any more. I need to get informed more so I can speak more in detail about it.
“Many athletes and people have already planned in advance and so many people have already planned their trips and accommodation in Rio.
“Of course, we have to have common sense that health is the most important thing for anybody that is there.
“But we should not only think about people coming to Rio. How about those people living there? I think we have to look from different perspectives in order to make a right conclusion.”
Women’s world number one Serena Williams, 34, told BBC Sport: “It’s something that’s been on my mind. I’m really just going to have to go super-protected maybe, and I don’t know.”